Friday, January 2, 2009

The "low-tech" execs I have just read about...

I was just reading the FT and something jumped to my attention - an article on the gadgets executives carry with them.

After the initial enthusiasm, I was struck by how low-tech these (very senior) executives are. Granted that there are some interesting devices, but beyond the quasi-old Blackberry Curves, the other one device that stands out from the crowd is the stone-age Nokia 6310i, a craving repeated by many other senior execs I know.

I love the 6310, but it's time to move on and adhere to all these new "shockingly cutting edge" phenomenons such as browsing the Internet, knowing where you are through GPS, etc.

Indeed, the future will no longer be surprisingly mobile... the present already is and it is probably up to the leading businessmen of the world to set the example. After all, gentlemen/ladies, if training is needed, I am sure there will be many happy to help.

1 comment:

  1. A commentator once said that the seniority of an executive is in inverse proportion to the amount of paper they carry. I think that works for technology too.

    One wealthy guy I know has a very low tech mobile phone because he only really needs two numbers - the number of his secretary in London, and the number of his secretary in New Zealand. Between them he has 24-hour coverage, and access to everything he needs.

    (I also think it's interesting that the two wealthiest people I know have the cheapest watches - both are worth well over $100,000,000 and last time I saw them, one had a battered old Seiko, that I assume his wife gave him, and the other a Swatch.)

    ReplyDelete